Thursday, July 12, 2007

Blame

When you face a death, it is easy to post blame anywhere you can. In my situation, I've oftentimes blamed myself for the death of my son. That in it-self has been an uphill battle.

My son died to SIDS. It has continued to be a painful situation. I felt such great blame for not waking up sooner, not offering him one more bottle before bed; having co-slept I even blamed myself for possibly suffocating him. Some moments are better than others are; however I will still occasionally think about him sleeping in my bed with me just feet away, as the reason for his death.

The morning I found him; I recall John (from the funeral home) coming in to take his body. I looked at him and begged that he find an answer as to why my son died. I needed some reasoning and proof; anything that would answer the millions of questions I had going through my mind. He asked if I wanted an autopsy done; I jumped and said yes.

It was weeks after Reiley's funeral that I finally received a copy of his death certificate as well as his autopsy report. I read it from front to back numerous times. There was nothing. His organs were fine, all measuring and weighing appropriately. His lungs were clear. His brain fully developed for his age. Absolutely nothing that could have caused any doubt in my mind that it was "just his time." Nonetheless, I still blamed myself. I still questioned and have continued to question if there was a single event that set the ball rolling for his death to come to fruition.

I looked at the death certificate; wondering if there was an answer there. Again, I found nothing. His cause of death listed was Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

I couldn't believe that my son was gone from my life for one and for two, that there really was no reasoning behind his death. At least with every death I had dealt with previously; there was a reason. This death and the grieving process associated with it has been most difficult without having an understanding as to why he died.

This is the first time I have even discussed the self-blame that I have been through over the past seven years, three months and two days. The prison I've held myself hostage in equates to Two-Thousand, Six-Hundred and forty nine days (2,649).

In that time, I've found no answer, none, nothing, nada and zip. Yet, somehow, I still find a way to blame myself. Perhaps the psychologist within me should do an examination and determine the best course to change that aspect.

So yes, along with the blame I placed on myself for my son's death, I've also had to battle with issues of self-worth and self-esteem. All of those factors are directly related. If I didn't hold myself accountable for Reiley's death; I wouldn't feel so poorly about myself and my esteem would then be good as well as my value of worth, in my minds eye.

Death brings with it many emotions and countless barriers one must overcome. The grieving process, while challenging, can be more difficult that the griever could imagine. It certainly has been in my life, all because of a little blame.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Again, although I really think this is a great post; I have no answers. The PC thing to say is that you have no blame in this type of situation. I co-slept and my son is fine. There were times I was frustrated and let him cry for a while before letting him re-attach to me and he's fine. So, the PC, the logical answer is that you are not to blame.

But the mother answer is that it would be hard not to blame yourself.

Each and every time my son walks out the door with another person (today in fact, he went swimming with a friend) I try to make sure I tell him to be safe and kiss him goodbye. If I didn't and something happened I'm sure I'd blame the missed moments. If I did and something happened I'm sure I'd blame those extra moments I spent with him.

It's such a hard place to be as a parent and sometimes there are no answers. Maybe parents live with blame. Maybe it's part of the plan? Very good post.

Virginia Lee said...

Grief is weird. We all experience it differently and yet we all pretty much go through the same things.

Mysti, my heart goes out to you. I have long believed that the most awful thing that can happen to a person is losing a child.

Since my cancer diagnosis and radical hysterectomy, I've been grieving over the children I'll never have now. I didn't even realize how much it meant to me to have those organs viable until they were ripped from my body.

Do I blame myself? Well, at times I have and still do. My being overweight all my life may be a contributing factor to my cancer's development. One male oncologist made that point rather cruelly to me just a few weeks after my surgery.

I don't cry as much as I did at first when my grief was fresh, but my self-anger is still present more often than not. It makes it hard to progress. I do understand that very well, but I'm trying to again and that is all I can do.

Keep writing, Mysti. I have a feeling you have much more to say.

The Quoibler said...

Just the fact that you are writing about this tragedy shows your inner strength.

I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog. You have a wealth of insight to give to anyone lucky enough to hear your voice.

Angelique

(P.S. - I found my way here via "Offbeat Homes", just as an FYI.)

Polly Kahl said...

Mysti, this is truly heartbreaking. I am so sorry. It is every parent's nightmare come true. When our older son was nine months old, he and I were in a very bad car accident. Even tho it was not my fault, I blamed myself by wondering what I could have done differently. The police report, the insurance companies, everyone agreed it was 100% the other driver's fault. Eventually I stopped blaming myself. Then I was able to sleep more easily and a lot of my ptsd symptoms went away. It is so obvious that you loved - and still love - your son, and would have done anything to prevent this loss. I hope you can forgive yourself too. You deserve the best and I am sure he knows he is loved and would not want you to continue blaming yourself.