Wednesday, July 18, 2007

A bit of my world

Cheyenne Frontier Days runs from July 20-29, 2007. I get to experience the influx of people from around the country and world at my job.

I started out as a bartender at the Outlaw shortly after moving to Cheyenne. I made a choice about a month and a half ago to move to cocktailing instead. Now, I'll be running on the floor instead of behind the bar during the most stressful yet lucrative time of the year.

Eleven days with no time off; running hard, fast and ragged. I won't be off work until the sun is nearing its rise and sleeping as much as possible during daylight hours before going back and starting all over again.

Preparations at work began last week; with the building of a temporary tent structure. When I say temporary, I do mean that it will be coming down after all the hoopla in August, even though it is cemented into the ground, bolted and stabilized with steel beams. We aren't talking about a small tent - the tent itself is about 2/3 the size of the club.

At any given day, there will be anywhere between 5 and 10,000 people that walk through the doors. It is going to be one long rest of the month!

2 comments:

Karen Fisher-Alaniz said...

I love your writing, so honest and vivid. Do you ever just watch those crowds of people with the realization that each one has a story to tell. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I want someone to pay me to write each one of them. How cool would that be? I would start with veterans though (it's a special interest of mine). Anyway- great blog!

-Karen

Mysti said...

Karen ~ I take great interest in the elder generation that comes in. it's something I picked up from my lifespan psychology course. They have so much knowledge of history, events that have changed over the years, and suffered greatly at various points in time; yet survived to live today.

Each person is special, unique and important. Owning the opportunity to make the world a greater place and have a positive impact on the world around them; challenging those to rise above and become better themselves.

I love most people, and unfortunately see a bad side of people when too much alcohol is mixed with a difference of opinion. Fights between individuals break my heart. There are so many other ways to settle differences than with physical violence.

I, too, wish someone would pay me to learn about every person around. So amazing at how each person makes it to where they are at that particular moment in time...