Sunday, September 16, 2007

A Tidbit of Information

I took a position at the end of August with Animal Fair.  The position called for a Web Editor with HTML experience.  I responded to the ad with a short query letter as I was actually curious if they would allow for a telecommuting position.  The following morning, I received an email from the owner of the company, which resulted in numerous communications back and forth, ending with a job offer.



I began working that same day.  I was overwhelmed at first with the mass amounts of information that was delivered; but worked through it and began making the updates and changes necessary. 



The days passed by and Ms. D was becoming more frustrated as there was an article coming out in Forbes where she discussed the launch of her new site.  That site was not completed and she wanted it done months ago.  Her demands for working countless hours adjusting this item or that, making specific updates and the like.  It was becoming an issue with my family as I was up early in the morning and working well into the night.  After she opted to terminate the programmer (which I am not), she wanted to know if I could do certain things.  I can do things related to HTML, however, PHP is a different story - and what her new site is coded in.



With a new programmer in toe, options were offered as to the direction of her site.  She opted to go with one option; and changed it mid-stream.  Her inability to wait and follow through with the course of action she decided upon was the downfall to our business relationship. 



As the week has progressed, I've received quite a few emails from her in regards to the site.  I'm now facing having to fight for my wages, which has left me highly unhappy with the entire situation. 



As a warning to those out there, don't apply for any position calling for a web editor without first contacting me with the ad.  If the ad states in any fashion, "New website launch need someone to check all our pages, make sure we launch with great editorial! Pop culture, celebrities, animals, travel, chefs! Fun content! Please send us your resume, why you are the right person and be able to start asap!"  This is for the same company and is not recommended in any manner!!


Ads by AdGenta.com


4 comments:

OCCUPYMAW said...

Gah. I went through something like this last year. Woman wanted me and hubby to build her site, that was our business at the time. He did programming and I did graphics.

Well, we liked the woman and did it for free, plus gave her our old computer. She was a 'friend' then. Our new computer died on us and instead of giving back the old one, she gave us a brand new one, let us pick the specs and everything. Called it a gift for us doing her site which involved buying the domain, hosting, taking pics of all of her merchandise, and upkeep. We though that was really great!

THEN she started making nutball demands. She first loved the site, then wanted to change it. Over and over. She was never happy with anything, then when I was sick, I couldn't get one picture uploaded and she came and took the computer she'd bought for us!

Needless to say I killed the relationship as soon as I got home and saw what she had done. Killed the site, blocked her phone number, and said to heck with everything. I spent days at a time in her store taking pics and retaking them, then modifying them. Never saw a dime, never asked for the comp, she insisted on it.

What she did ruined our business because all of our information was on that computer and the harddrive was wiped when she took it. I don't do business for crazy people anymore. And I don't take gifts instead of cash now.

Uh...end rant...lol.

Mysti said...

She tried really hard to befriend me. When that didn't work, she tried to guilt me into continuing work. That didn't work either. The last week has been absolutely miserable.

I do have recourse, however. If she doesn't pay me, I can file theft of service charges against her and go after my pay and all court and legal fees as well. I've already made that decision and her status in society bears no meaning to me.

I'm sorry that you've gone through a similar situation. It definitely leaves a bitter taste in one's mouth.

You know, she had the gall to ask me if I expected to be paid. Hello??!

Virginia Lee said...

Thanks for sharing this story, Mysti. I find such people to be truly awful. I hope you don't have to fight, but if you do I'll be rooting for you. It sucks that this turned out to be a bad experience. I'm very glad you've written about it, however.

Mysti said...

Unfortunately, I will be fighting for my pay. I've had to secure legal representation today to do just that. It's a sad situation all the way around.